Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by improving their health, education and economic opportunities. In times of acute crisis, we mobilize rapid assistance to help children recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural disasters. Each year, we and our partners reach millions of children in communities around the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Safety & Security Officer
Job Id: 190000YI
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- To reduce the risk posed to the programmes, personnel and assets of Save the Children in North East Nigeria.
- Reporting to the safety and security Manager Borno Nigeria, this role will assist in the coordination and management of safety and security primarily in Borno office, SCI field sites.
- The role will provide security support, coordination and advise to all tiers of SCI Borno.
Scope of Role
- To reduce the risks posed to the program, personnel and assets of Save the Children in Borno and facilitate, Nigeria.
- This will include ongoing threat assessment and advising on risk management; the maintenance of appropriate guidelines; and ensuring that field working practices are robust and that all staff are aware of, trained in, and adhere to these policies and procedures. Integral to the posting is the ability to work successfully with field teams to cultivate capacity and motivation, thereby ensuring field-based responsibility for security analysis and management.
Key Areas of Accountability
Works with the Humanitarian Team Lead/National Security Manager to coordinate:
- The development of an organisational culture that reflects our dual mandate values, promotes accountability and high performance, encourages a team culture of learning, creativity and innovation, and frees up our people to deliver outstanding results for children and excellent customer service for our Members and donors
- Ensure all North East Area Offices complies with all Save the Children Management Operating Standards and Standard Operating Procedures
- Ensure that all required support is provided promptly, at scale and in line with the rules and principles during emergencies.
- Provide support as required to the Area Incident Management Team in case of security-related crisis
Assessment and Analysis:
- Coordinate with the Security Manager for the preparation & delivery of high quality reports, analysis and security by gathering information from a variety of sources.
- The Security Office will submit monthly written report on Vehicles 1st Aid boxes, Hibernation items Firefighting equipment, briefing tracker to the Security Manager and National security Manager
- Prepare the monthly Guards transport allowance and company’s payment
- The Security officer will provide weekly security briefing and safety briefing to new/arriving staff to Maiduguri
- Ensure that incident reports are properly compiled in a timely manner by staff and shared with the Security Manager and National Safety & Security Manager
- Monitor events, review incidents and coordinate analysis, follow up actions and recommendations
- Provide security updates which include situational analysis, actions taken and actions recommended to SC Area management team
Policies and procedures:
- Ensure that all Borno/NE staff understand the country-wide security plan and agree to abide by its policies and procedures
- Monitor the security environment and adjust security policies and procedures accordingly in consultation with the Area Operations Manager and National Safety & Security Manager
- Ensure quality and relevance of area security plans
- Undertake reviews of policies and procedures; identify opportunities to enhance security
- Advise on safe movement for staff e.g. proper vehicle fleet management policies, adequate safety and communication equipment in vehicles and training drivers in established procedures and requisite skills
- Assist with proposal development to ensure adequate consideration of safety and security need and inclusion of security costs
- Undertake security assessments of and field missions to programme areas and potential programme areas; report on findings and design necessary improvements
- Provide safety and security support and advise to Area Operations and field managers
Communication and Training:
- Liaise on a regular basis with UN, government and local administration and where possible with community leaders in the process of gathering and verifying security information
- Support the gathering and flow of information with other relevant actors; classify security information according to its reliability and accuracy
- Coordinate and manage the proper use of SCI communication equipment/systems and alert the security manager to any hardware failures
- Regularly update the briefing slides base the on the context of Borno
- Support Safety and Security trainings to SCI Borno/NE staff and partners. Trainings will include medical, communications, guard force and driving but will also include other higher-level security trainings.
- Provide timely security briefings for visitors to Borno/NE and on occasions escort visitors on field missions
- The successful candidate will have a high degree of common sense and a genuine interest in people.
Min Required Experience:
Competencies and Behaviours
Delivering Results (Skilled):
- Delivers timely and appropriate results using available resources
- Takes responsibility for their work and its impact on others
- Plans, prioritises and performs tasks well without needing direct supervision
- Understands the link between their work and the organisation’s objectives
Innovating and Adapting (Skilled):
- Suggests creative improvements and better ways of working
- Seeks out and applies successful ideas from others to overcome challenges
- Shifts tasks, roles and priorities to perform effectively under changing or unclear conditions
- Applies lessons learned to enhance future ways of working
Applying Technical & Professional Expertise (Skilled):
- Delivers work that reflects a good knowledge and application of technical and professional standards
- Keeps up to date with trends in their work area
- Maintains ethical and professional behaviour in accordance with relevant codes of conducts
Working Effectively With Others (Skilled):
- Actively listens to new and different perspectives and experiences of those they work with
- Proactively supports team members and trusts their capabilities
- Demonstrates understanding of their skills and how they complement those of others within diverse teams and groups
- Clarifies their role and responsibilities within the team to maximise impact
Communicating With Impact (Skilled):
- Actively listens and seeks to understand before being understood
- Ensures communications are concise and well-structured
- Shares appropriate relevant and timely information with others
- Prepares effectively for meetings
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Experience in liaising with civilian, police and military government authorities, as well as with field level , national and international institutions
- Must be a retired Security officer with any of Nigerian security Organization of not less than 15 years’ experience
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in complex and insecure environment
- Ability to speak Hausa
- Well organised with ‘people skills’
- Ability and willingness to travel within Borno in particular and North East Nigeria in general is essential.
- Demonstrable network of contacts within the security organizations is very key
- Computer literate – Able to use Microsoft office Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Excellent written and spoken English leading to the ability to produce a high standard of both written and oral work
- Ability to analyse information
- The ability to work harmoniously in a multi-national / multi-cultural environment.
- The ability to work independently, multi-task and anticipate problems
- Commitment to Save the Children values
- Ability to speak local language especially Kanuri, and Burra or any of the local language in Borno
- The candidate should be preferably from the State with a good contextual knowledge of environment and good reporting/analytical skills.
Values and Critical Competencies:
- An understanding of the Humanitarian Principles
- Active listener
- Capable of displaying Leadership
- Self-reliant, reliable
- Clear understanding of Decision, Action, Consequence.
If any company or recruiter demands money from you, please report to us immediately. View how to detect fake recruiters/companies Here