Agency for Technical Cooperation and Development (ACTED) is a French humanitarian NGO, founded in 1993, which supports vulnerable populations, affected by humanitarian crises worldwide. ACTED provides continued support to vulnerable communities by ensuring the sustainability of post-crisis interventions and engaging long-term challenges facing our target populations, in order to break the poverty cycle, foster development and reduce vulnerability to disasters. Our interventions seek to cover the multiple aspects of humanitarian and development crises through a multidisciplinary approach which is both global and local, and adapted to each context.
In light of the displacement in the north-eastern part of Nigeria, ACTED has set up an office in Maiduguri to respond to the humanitarian needs. ACTED is therefore looking for qualified candidates for the position below to support its mission in Maiduguri:
Job Title: Senior Coordination and Liaison Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
About the Job
- Senior Coordination and Liaison Officer will be responsible for to develop and maintain positive working links with Federal, State, and Local Government authorities, in order to ensure positive and productive engagement within the scope of the ECHO-funded Recovery to Resilience programme.
Your Main Duties and Responsibilities will be:
- Lead a high-level stakeholder mapping exercise to identify the key individuals and structures with whom ACTED should engage in Maiduguri, under the Area-Based Urban DRR project:
- Identify and map the relevant structures and departments within State; Municipal; and Local government levels, producing a Multi-Level Stakeholder Relationships, Roles, and Responsibilities Map, which will inform ACTED’s stakeholder engagement plan
- Identify and map key personnel within State; Municipal; and Local government, and develop a stakeholder engagement plan for how to approach these individuals and units as key stakeholders to the programme
- Develop and manage relationships with identified key stakeholders in relevant ministries/departments/structures, at State, Municipal, and Local level, to ensure their active participating in the program
- The forum should function as a support structure to promote sustainable local development beyond immediate relief, by aligning humanitarian response activities in Maiduguri with longer-term development plans.
- Engage relevant State and Municipal-level authorities to ensure their active participation in the establishment of a city-level Disaster Preparedness and Response Coordination Forum for Maiduguri:
- Work with relevant State and Municipal-level authorities in Maiduguri to develop the Terms of Reference for the city-level Disaster Preparedness and Response Coordination Forum, ensuring that the forum is a practical and useful tool for coordinating city-level disaster preparedness and response in Maiduguri
- Support the relevant State and Municipal-level authorities in Maiduguri, leading where needed, to set up the logistics for the quarterly city-level Disaster Preparedness and Response Coordination meetings, including establishing a venue; sending invitations; setting an agenda etc.
- Map relevant private sector, civil society, and International (UN; INGO) stakeholders, and engage with them to ensure their active participation in the quarterly city-level Disaster Preparedness and Response Coordination Forum in Maiduguri
- Together with the relevant State and Municipal-level authorities, facilitate the holding of quarterly city-level Disaster Preparedness and Response Coordination Forum meetings in Maiduguri
- Facilitate quarterly city-level Disaster Preparedness and Response Coordination meetings, including through maintaining and sharing the minutes of meetings with all participants, and keeping accurate records of participants and discussions.
- Through the quarterly city-level Disaster Preparedness and Response Coordination meetings, establish Area-Based disaster preparedness tools, including 5Ws and quarterly action plans. Ensure that these tools are developed in close coordination with the relevant State and Municipal-level authorities in Maiduguri, and are eventually handed over to and fully managed by, these relevant State and Municipal-level authorities
- Facilitate bi-monthly neighbourhood Disaster Preparedness and Response Coordination meetings, including through maintaining and sharing the minutes of meetings with all participants, and keeping accurate records of participants and discussions.
- Establish and maintain neighbourhood-level 5Ws for service provision in the three target neighbourhoods
- Conduct thorough capacity and gap analyses of the State, Municipal, and Local level authorities with which the project will engage, to better understand where and how the project can support capacity strengthening for urban disaster preparedness and response in Maiduguri
- Support the Urban DRR Project Manager, as required, with the development of comprehensive training plans for stakeholder engaged with the project, based on capacity and gap analyses.
- Support the Urban DRR Project Manager as required, to meet internal and donor reporting requirements on the project
Min Required Experience:
Essential Qualifications and Experience
- 3 – 4 years working experience in the related field
- High mapping skills, in map drafting and other map related skills
- High level of confidentiality, integrity, Professionalism, Mature, culturally sensitive, flexible, team player and interpersonal skills with the ability to build effective relationship with a range of people
- Experience of working under high pressure and ability to handle multiple priorities in an autonomous manner.
- Willing and able to be based and travel regularly within remote areas, where services are limited.
- Excellent written and spoken Kanuri, Hausa and English essential.
- Good written, oral communication and deliberating skills.
- Essential computer literacy(outlook, excel, power point and word)
- Previously experience with Senior Coordination and Liaison Officer Duties.
Desired Knowledge and Skills:
- Extensive knowledge of Nigerian displacement context
- Highly flexible, with the ability to use initiative
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and values
- Commitment to promoting gender equality.
- Contract length: 1 Year (Project will run 2.5years)
- Level: D1.5 (national contract)
- Start Date: As soon as possible Desirable.
Application Closing Date
17th June, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Interested candidates are also invited to send a Cover Letter and an updated CV as a single document (3 pages maximum) in English. Contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional references must be provided, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer and another one from current HR Manager/Officer must be for the latest employer
- Please do not attach any written recommendations. Applications should be addressed to: The Recruitment Manager.
- Only motivated applicants who are able to perform the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered. Please note: The position title and location must be written in the subject line of the e-mail; otherwise, it may not be considered (e.g: Senior Coordination and Liaison Officer – Maiduguri)
- CV will be review on rolling bases
- Due to the large numbers of expected applicants ACTED will only inform shortlisted candidate. We apologize for the inconvenience. Only short-listed applicants will be invited for written test and oral interview.
If any company or recruiter demands money from you, please report to us immediately. View how to detect fake recruiters/companies Here